Now, I want o remind everyone I really don’t have a dog in this fight. I am a libertarian and a member of the Libertarian Party. That said I do like to watch politics from all angles so it allows me some perspective. I am not a fan of Republicans for a couple reasons most notably that they don’t seem to like that someone pushed their morality on them (gay marriage for instance) but they will definitely try to do it the other way. Both parties have this hypocrisy of freedom on the one hand but trying to force things on the other side in a certain area. For me here is a few takeaways.
- Trump was the most blunt and outspoken in this one and he is right about one thing: The debate about illegal immigration is at a whole different level because of him. I am not sure he is accurate about whether people were debating about it before but they definitely are talking about it completely differently since his comments. Got to give the devil his due.
- I want Christie out. Don’t get me wrong he might be a great guy for all I know. The problem is he is wrong to treat the constitution like he is suggesting. Sorry Rand is right the 4th amendment exists for a reason. Security has been the justification for far to many lost rights that lead to tyranny more times than not.
- Ben Carson is very articulate and a different kind of candidate. I guess if I think if he has a weakness it seems he lacks charisma. Very smart though.
- Jeb Bush looked flat. Everything seemed canned to me and not spoken from a passionate point of view. He was well coached and that was the problem.
- Rand Paul had difficulty with the defense and military questions probably in large part because he was the only person who is not a hawk on the stage. I don’t think he s a dove either but methinks that some of his father’s views remain in him.
- The moderators didn’t like Trump. Honestly I can understand the concern. Every other candidate needs both the money machine of the Republican party and Fox News to make a run. Trump is the only guy who needs neither.
- Honestly none of them struck me a presidential at least yet. This debate was too short a sound bite for me to form an opinion.
- This debate defeats the nonsense that having too many candidates at the Presidential debates would be confusing. If Fox News can do a decent debate with ten people. Having more than two people on stage during the presidential debates next year should be a cakewalk. I mean really.